How Does LIFE Keep Me Healthier and Safer at Home as I Age?
The LIFE Pittsburgh model of care comes from PACE, a national program pioneered in the 1970’s. The idea was to keep people safe at home, rather than have frequent visits to the Emergency Room or wind up in a nursing home. The program was so successful, there are now over 80 such programs in the country.
Every participant has a team of people looking after him or her. The team includes a doctor, registered nurses, master’s-level social workers, licensed physical and occupational therapists, personal care aids, registered dieticians,the center manager and others. This team meets every morning to discuss all participants in need. The key ingredients of LIFE’s model of care are
- being proactive and
- coordinating/integrating care from different professional perspectives. The care team is what makes this possible.Click here to learn more about our team approach.
LIFE Pittsburgh’s team approach is unique. Every participant has a dedicated team that is routinely monitoring their well-being. Click here to read more.
Our Participants receive most of their health care services at our Day Health Center, where our team is based. A Participant’s driver provides transportation to and from the center. When necessary, services are also provided in an individual’s home, in a hospital or a nursing facility. Our primary care physicians are participating members of our health care team and will manage all specialty and hospital care. In addition, we have agreements with physician specialists (such as cardiologists, urologists, and orthopedists), with a pharmacy, laboratory, and diagnostic testing services (X-rays, etc.) and with hospitals and nursing facilities. Services may be provided at their respective locations. Drivers are also able to provide transportation to the hospital and other appointments the interdisciplinary team arranges for our participants.
Some advantages of enrolling in LIFE Pittsburgh are:
- Our dedicated, qualified geriatric health professionals who know you personally.
- Complete long-term care coverage.
- Coordinated 24 hour advice and care.
- Support for family caregivers.
- Care designed specifically for your individual needs.
- One provider to oversee your care whether at home, in a hospital or in a nursing facility.
- No co-insurance, deductibles or payments due for services you receive. In some cases there may be a monthly premium required to participate in the program based on your income.